Friday, July 12, 2013

Kidney Disease & Animal Protein

So, some of family friends do not understand why I have to eat a vegan diet. People with KD (kidney disease) must avoid animal proteins because these proteins cause rapid progression of KD. My KD is in remission thanks to the vegan diet and a drug called Losartan. Here is an article from Livestrong that explains how animal proteins damage the kidneys and why vegetable proteins are good proteins :) I am now only allowed 36 grams of protein a day because of my body weight. That is less than 1/4 what everyday people without KD are allowed to have. Now you see why this diet is so important to me. I would like to go without a transplant for at least 25 years!

When I started my vegan diet almost a year ago I weighed approximately 140 lbs, now I weight 109. Since I have been vegan, I feel better, have less fatigue, and my blood glucose levels are almost 90% in range. I have been diagnosed with type II diabetes for 9 1/2 years. Because I have kidney disease and diabetic neuropathy, my doctor estimates that I have been diabetic since I was pregnant with my first child, 18 years. Two months ago, for the first time in nearly two years, I had normal blood and urine tests across the board! My kidney disease is not in remission or has been reversed. I was VERY lucky that my doctor caught my KD in stage 1. It is called microalbuminuria.

If you have KD it is VERY important to eat vegan as much as possible. Animal proteins wreak hell on your kidneys and can cause the disease to progress rapidly. I am hoping this blog reaches and helps at least one person with diabetes KD. Helping the life of one person would mean the world to me. Please take 10 minutes of your time, just 10 minutes out of your lifespan, and read over this article. It might save your life, and at the least, prolong the life of your kidneys.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/281366-vegetable-protein-and-kidney-function/#page=1

No comments:

Post a Comment